Monday, July 10, 2006

A Book Recommendation!

I'm going to recommend David Kupelian's book, The Marketing of Evil. While not quite as thought-provoking as some of the bona fide Gospel-centered books I've read, the book does manage to highlight several alarming trends in this country that are, well, very alarming. That's not to say that the book is bereft of logic or thoughtful analyses, because it's not. However, it's written for a broad audience (which means its a bit easier to read) and serves to inform the American public about a world where traditional morals and ideals have been hijacked and turned into bywords before our very eyes.
A few weeks ago I read an excerpt of this book that talked about the homosexual agenda for America. The Marketing of Evil starts there, and then begins to highlight some of the other problems in the country that conservatives find so appalling. For example, some of the chapters include: The Myth of Church-State Separation; Multicultural Madness (How Western Culture was Turned Upside Down in a Generation); The Campaign to Destroy Marriage; Obsessed with Sex (How Fraudulent Science Unleashed a Catastrophic Revolution); The Media Matrix (What We Think is Real); and finally, How Lying Marketers Sold America on Unrestricted Abortion.
I went into this book somewhat skeptical, thinking I wouldn't learn anything I didn't already know. Not so. The book, while sometimes preachy (a lot of Bible references), really punched me between the eyes. As I told a friend, it's virtually a laundry list of "secret combinations." Having said that, let me point out that this book isn't tabloid. Yes, it's alarming (as I mentioned), but it's alarming in a way that should serve to wake up the conservative middle class (if only they could get their minds around some of the lies that are being spread in this country via the media). The best comparison I can think of for this book would be something by Rush Limbaugh. In that, I mean that the author takes the liberty of making anecdotal assertions sometimes without stating all of the facts. Just because I agree with what he's saying, doesn't mean I don't want to know how the information being conveyed stacks up against a counter-point. However, the author does back up most of his examples with hard facts.
Upon finishing it, I feel that is has changed the way I view the world in many respects (specifically with regards to the media, abortion and the gay rights agenda). I also found that I came away with new zeal and passion for the conservative cause. My eyes feel opened anew, and Mr. Kupelian's articulate description of the modern ideological plagues that face this nation really struck a chord with me. He sounds very much like a Mormon at times. You'll finish this book in a day or two, easily.

No comments: